I had to do this week’s Zendala Dare of course. Who could miss the 100th one?!? I ended up doing a lot of riffing on this one, just letting the pen do what it wanted. As a result there aren’t actually many tangle patterns in it. Though the oblong b’tweed outlined only with graphite kind of makes me think of pine cones. I’ll have to remember that when winter rolls back around!
I can’t wait to go look at what everyone else has done with this great template!
I used Strathmore’s Toned Tan for this one. It isn’t quite as warm of a tan as the Zentangle tiles so I’m not as fond of the sepia on it (the colors of this photo are a little off since it was photographed under a lamp instead of natural light). I do like the finish though. It isn’t quite as absorbent so coloring is easier, but there is plenty of tooth to shade and highlight with graphite and white charcoal. I am still a bit meh about this one. I don’t feel like my Weave was free form enough and as a result it looks sloppily executed instead. Cate things I’m on crack. What say you?
I also ended up putting in Mysst which I just haven’t been happy with using myself yet. I’ve seen examples of other people’s work using it and liked it, but I have yet to like my own stuff using it. I do however love Stickers! What fun!
Yesterday was dedicated to finishing my Sunday Smackdown #3. This is a sneak peek of it in progress. I completed all the drawing last evening, but I’m still on the fence whether to add any highlighting and shading. Cate says to post it everywhere and frame it and hang it in our living room once we’re moved. We’ll see. It would suit our furniture in a way… I’ll likely post another shot of what it looks like now on Instagram (fiberfool) at some point today if you’d like to ring in on whether I should take it further or leave it as is.
I think I’m done with the first toned gray zentangle inspired art piece. There is a good bit of open space in the lower left yet that has me slightly unsettled. I did end up adding Sunup Sundown on the ribbon and did fairly extensive shading. I need practice on ribbon work though. But Sunup Sundown could very easily become a mac & cheese pattern for me. Loved it!
I’ll be back soon sharing my finished Coffee Filter Zendala and the how-to for my response to Sunday Smackdown #3.
I’m feeling like I jumped into this Zentangle thing at a great point. Erin at The Bright Owl is back at her Zendala Dares after a hiatus and it makes me so giddy. Zendalas just resonate for me and her templates can really push me.
This week was Zendala Dare #98 and I wanted soooo bad to just b’tweed and/or paradox the heck out of it. But, I made myself resist the urge. Partly because she used paradox and I was noticing both patterns popping up here and there if I happened to glance at people’s finished tiles in one of the Facebook groups or in the blogs I’ve followed.
I had a bit of a rough time, but eventually I think it all kind of came together. I do wish the center of my auraknot had turned out more symmetrical. I used inapod, auraknot, , nekton, and beadlines. I also kept my shading a titch more restrained. I had visions of doing two or three tiles yesterday to try to catch up on the 365 project I set for myself (I’ve still only not tangled the one day so far, but I haven’t always completed a tile). That didn’t happen. Instead there was napping.
I started my Zendala Dare #97 tile last night. I finished the shading this morning while I made whole grain pancakes with lemon ricotta and berries for our breakfast and put together a whole grain beer bread dough.
Because we do mass transport and that doesn’t run here in Fort Collins on Sundays we stay home all day. It makes it a great day to do food prep for the week like baking bread. It is especially so this weekend because we got 8-10″ of snow and it is still coming down. Walking or biking anywhere isn’t an option today.
At first I wasn’t feeling it with the template. But I took a deep breath and jumped in with Striping. I added perfs, then the rope-like border, then the Black Pearls for the small “drops” seemed the right answer. It took a bit for me to figure out what to fill the rest of the background with, but I settled on Shattuck and Nekton. I’m pretty happy with it considering I was hesitating on the template.
Anyone else think they spend more time on shading than drawing? I can’t swear by it because I’m often multi-tasking while shading, but it sure seems as though that step takes me longer.
The patterns for today’s exercises were a little more to my liking. I had already worked on putting Flux on a curve so this was really good practice.
I had carried around the template for last week’s Zendala Dare, #96, at The Bright Owl since Erin posted it. It really resonated with me, but I never got the opportunity to work on it until last night.
I think I’m in love with Zendalas! I’m not surprised. I’ve long been interested in mandalas, even created some digitally with my photographs in the long, long ago before I was even a very good photographer. I’m also thinking that in addition to Zendalas appealing to my preference for order and symmetry in design they are kind of uber-Zentangle practice. You get multiple layers of repetition – the strokes making up the patterns but also the repetition of the patterns around the mandala form.
I scribbled pencil on the back of my print out of the template and then traced the template to transfer pencil markings to the tile. In the process I learned it really doesn’t take that much pressure to transfer 3B lead. If you look closely at the tile you can see a set of lines I chose to ignore — they are indented! I pressed a bit too hard, LOL!